Can Shih Tzus eat bananas, since bananas are good for both humans and dogs, let’s find out together.
In this post, I will be highlighting some potential pros and cons of feeding bananas to Shih Tzus which you should know.
I will be discussing some of the most common questions around bananas and Shih Tzus, finally, I will highlight some common safe ways to feed bananas to Shih Tzus.
So… Let’s discuss Shih Tzus and bananas!
Can Shih Tzus Eat Bananas
Yes, Shih Tzus can safely eat bananas in moderation as healthy snacks as they are low in calories, contain vitamin B6, vitamin C, and potassium that can provide extra nutrients for Shih Tzus.
Let’s talk about some common questions regarding Shih Tzus and bananas…
Can Shih Tzus eat banana peels
Although banana peels are not harmful to Shih Tzus, their high molecular weight structure makes them difficult to digest and can create intestinal blockages, causing unnecessary health problems.
Banana peels are tough to digest and should never be fed to Shih Tzus due to their sensitivity.
Keep bananas away from your Shih Tzu at all times to avoid your Shih Tzu devouring both the banana and the peels.
How much banana can a Shih Tzu eat
Due to their size, shih Tzus should take five to seven little pieces of banana per day rather than one entire banana; this equals to or contributes for no more than 10% of their daily calorie consumption.
Large dogs should consume 3/1 banana per day, depending on the size of the banana.
Bananas should be considered a treat rather than a full meal for Shih Tzus, accounting for no more than 10% of their daily or weekly calorie consumption.
I highly advise against giving bananas to Shih Tzus more than twice a week.
Can Shih Tzus be allergic to bananas
Most Shih Tzus are not allergic to bananas, however, bear in mind that all Shih Tzus are not the same, some may be allergic to food that is safe for others.
Therefore, you should offer a bit of banana to your Shih Tzu and see how he reacts.
Allergic symptoms may include shedding, bloating, diarrhea, and vomiting.
Let’s talk about pros and cons
Potential benefits of feeding bananas to Shih Tzus
Here are some of the most well-known benefits of feeding Shih Tzus bananas in moderation:
- Shih Tzus might benefit from extra vitamin C in bananas.
- Potassium may be obtained from bananas when Shih Tzus eat bananas.
- Bananas can help with digestion because of their fiber content.
- Bananas can aid in the development of strong bones in Shih Tzu.
- Bananas can provide extra antioxidants to a Shih Tzu when consumed in moderation.
- During vigorous workout, bananas can be useful to Shih Tzus.
- Bananas, when consumed in moderation, can supply additional nutrients to Shih Tzus.
- Bananas can aid in the maintenance of healthy teeth and gums in Shih Tzu.
Disadvantages of overfeeding Shih Tzus with bananas
If you overfeed your Shih Tzu bananas, you may notice the following signs and effects:
- Overfeeding your Shih Tzu bananas may cause his blood sugar to increase since bananas contain sugar.
- Shih Tzus may suffer nerve damage if they eat too many bananas.
- Bananas should not be fed in big numbers to Shih Tzus since they may cause gastrointestinal issues.
- Due to the sugar content of bananas, overfeeding a Shih Tzu might result in weight gain (obesity).
- If you give your Shih Tzu too many bananas, he can get diarrhea.
- If overfed, this fruit may not be a healthy choice for diabetic Shih Tzus due to its high sugar content.
- Bloating can occur if a Shih Tzu eats too many bananas.
How to feed bananas to Shih Tzus
Here are a few suggestions of how to offer bananas to Shih Tzus in moderation:
1. Freeze bananas slices in Kong
Fill Kong with frozen banana slices to keep your Shih Tzu occupied as you go about your day.
Remember that this is not something you should do on a regular basis.
Your Shih Tzu will be delighted for hours trying to get the banana out of the stuffed Kong.
Fill the Kong to the point where your Shih Tzu can easily remove the banana slices that have been loaded.
Keep the amount of bananas in Kong to a minimum to avoid overfeeding and the health risks related with providing Shih Tzu too many bananas.
If you don’t know how to fill a Kong with bananas, there are a number of tutorials on YouTube that you may watch and learn from.
2. Give Shih Tzu banana slices as rewards
Treats intrigue Shih Tzu, and you may use them at any moment to persuade them to comply with a command.
When your Shih Tzu needs to be rewarded for good behavior, use banana slices as a treat in moderation.
Positive reinforcement will encourage them to listen to and obey your directions, despite the fact that Shih Tzus are notoriously difficult to train.
To minimize gastrointestinal problems, give your Shih Tzu as few bananas as possible.
This should be done once or twice a week in moderation rather than on a regular basis.
3. Add banana slices to other fruit mix
One approach to keep your Shih Tzu happy and healthy is to provide them with nutritious and suggested fruits and veggies.
Once a week, give your Shih Tzu fruit and vegetable treats to keep him healthy and happy.
However, you should be aware that not all fruits and vegetables that people eat are safe for your Shih Tzu.
This fruit and vegetable combination should be fed to Shih Tzus in moderation, no more than once a week.
4. Add banana slices to Shih Tzus food
Cut banana into small pieces and add to your Shih Tzu once in a while.
This can be done once a week in moderation.
I hope your question can Shih Tzus eat bananas was answered with the information provided on this page.